5/04/2005

NB!



One of the photos I had from Tallinn generated some flickr commentary. I posted the above photo with a typically snarky comment about how nonsensical it seemed to put up signs in the tourist center of a city that contained an abbreviation that no tourists would understand. Well, apparently some Estonian took umbrage with that, commenting that NB! is latin and means Nota Bene translated as "mark this" or "notice" and everyone knows that. Now obviously the sign is warning about pickpockets, purse thieves, etc...but I have never seen the NB! abbreviation anywhere before. I travel relatively frequently, but it's entirely possible in this instance (as it is with most things) that I'm an idiot. Have either of the two blog readers I have seen "NB!" used on signs anywhere else in the world besides Estonia?