6/21/2005

Heh

Anyone can say something sucks. But few do it with as much panache as Christopher Hitchens

After I tortured myself with The Davinci Code, all I could say was that I felt like I was intellectually raped.

He puts it so much better than I:

"A few weeks ago, at an airport in Europe, I saw Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code staring at me across the bookstore bins. I had seen it many times before and averted my gaze, but I was facing a long delay, and I suddenly thought: May as well get it over with.

Well, of course I knew it would be bad. I just didn't know that it would be that bad. Never mind for now the breathless and witless style, or the mashed-paper characters, or the lazy, puerile reliance on incredible coincidence to flog the lame plot along. What if it was all true? What if the Nazarene had had issue, in fleshly form, with an androgynous disciple? The Catholic Church would look foolish but, then, it already looks foolish enough on the basis of the official story. 'Opus Dei,' according to Brown, is a sinister cult organization. Excuse me, but I already knew this, so to speak, independently."


Heh. Can't wait for the movie!